Powered by Blogger.

We Done Got Punked

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Rob and I had a hot date last night to a dinner hosted by My Blog Spark, a group of bloggers that get to try and review products. I actually hadn't reviewed anything yet, so was surprised to get the invitation for a free meal and gift card just for being a part of it. I will, as you know, do about anything for a free meal. Rob and I assumed there would be some kind of presentation or something they were selling, but we didn't care. As I said: free meal.

We kept waiting for the trick, but there was no presentation, no forced and awkward conversation--just Rob and I at a table with a great four-course meal and a gift card in my purse.  Still, we thought there HAD to be something to this free dinner thing.  And what was with that guy who was videotaping everything? We were just finishing up our main course when the waiter dropped off the fortune cookies.  Rob opened his first and chuckled, then began to read aloud.  It went something like this:  Surprise!  The meal you just ate was actually a frozen entree from Wanchai Ferrry!

We knew there was a trick!  That just wasn't the one we were expecting.  Not.  At. All.  Especially given that my meal, Spicy Garlic Chicken, was fabulous and even passed the Rob test.  (He has very high standards for Chinese, especially when it comes to the dishes with fried chicken pieces and sauce.  He's a snob in that way.)  The chicken was great, the veggies were fresh, the sauce was spicy and sweet and wonderful.  A frozen meal, really?  Good thing I've got coupons!!

Overall, we had a great date and a funny night with the whole surprise aspect.  The good news is that not only did we find a great new product from the grocery store, but we found a restaurant we really liked.  Shanghai River provided the drinks, soups, appetizers and deserts--only the entree was from Wanchai Ferry.  Rob and I both about died over the beef skewers, which come with their own little fire pit you can heat the steak on at your table.  I like fire.  I like beef.  What's not to like about beef skewers?

So, thanks to My Blog Spark for a great deal and a great punk!  I will definitely be checking my freezer section for Wanchai Ferry AND heading back to Shanghai River to skewer me some beef.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP